Sender:
"Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:10:36 -0500
Subject:        Re: Map call #s
Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:17:24 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Tiffany,

Thought I'd make a little time this morning to put my two cents' worth
into the feedback on your questions, even though the details have been
well covered, including pointing out the difference between cataloging
and classification. As for choosing an appropriate classification
system, several folks have said that you should pick what works best for
you and your situation, whether thats "home grown", using Dewey, and
using the system most-widely used which is LC's G-class schedule. I
support LC because even though its awkward to understand/apply at first
it does a great job at specifying both the geographic, and when needed,
the topical nature of maps in a collection, and its very "expandable"
too. Of course, I'm also very biased in my choice of using LC because
the two institutions I've worked in both use it and I've been immersed
in its use for many years. That said, I've seen Boggs & Lewis in use, I
know of a couple of collections that exclusively use the SuDoc system,
and there's still lots of places that prefer Dewey (public libraries
mainly).

Everyone has noted that with maps in topographic series it is best to
class these as a "set" or "group", which can be done at the state level
(G4360), or if you have coverage across the U.S. you can do this at that
level (G3700). Set up a single call number to represent the entire
group, i.e., G4360 s24 .G4, then use the sheet name as the last
component so that in terms of filing all you have to do is put the maps
in alphabetical order. Now -- you asked specifically about classifying
these maps at the sheet level and what to do if there isn't a specific
geographic area code established for a place name in /Classification
Web/. Your instincts are correct, find the appropriate place
in-between two existing geographic area codes and assign something that
fits. That said, here at PSU we decided a few years ago to handle our
USGS 7.5-minute topos in the following manner: catalog the PA sheets at
the sheet level (we are a Sirsi institution, so we have the ability to
itemize holdings that are attached to a single bib. record) including
creating a bib. record for the state as a whole without holdings;
catalog all other states at the state level, then do local holdings.

As for geologic series, the most common being the various USGS series,
as has been mentioned you will find copy for the vast majority of these
titles. Because of this we cataloged all of our holdings individually
years ago, and as noted above for a given series we set up a single call
number to represent all titles in one series, then used the series
alphanumeric designation to keep them in a specific order in terms of
classifying them. Since we have a separate geology-based map collection
housed as part of our Earth & Mineral Sciences Library, we chose to
classify using LC, but instead of using "G" we class ours according to a
QE number, that way these maps file on the book shelves with similar
book materials (most USGS series maps come in their own envelopes, with
or without accompanying booklets, so we leave them folded in the
envelopes and they fit just fine on regular book shelves).

You have a small-enough collection that probably the best tactic would
be to use a "class-together" system that so many of us use for our
similar materials, that way you limit the work of bibliographic record
creation to a minimum and can, if you wish, maximize use of time devoted
to itemizing the individual sheets -- or, simply make sure to have a
good map index system in place as previously mentioned.

Good luck!

Paige