Sender:
"Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:27:37 -0600
7bit
From:
Subject: RE: MAPS-L Digest - 13 Jan 2012 to 17 Jan 2012 (#2012-8)
(UNCLASSIFIED)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:18:14 +0000
From: Hadden, Robert L AGC <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

     I did a series of bulletin boards on the patrons of libraries when
I was at the US Geological Survey Library. A text version of "An Appeal
to Heavenly Library Patrons" By R. Lee Hadden is posted at:
http://www.librarything.com/profile/hadden
     Please let me know what you find out about cartographer's heavenly
patrons. Sounds interesting! One site does say that St. Thomas is the
patron of surveyors, so I presume he is also kindly to map makers. See:
http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-thomas-the-apostle/
        Some of the more interesting items I found out were that many saints
are "unofficial" patrons. For example, Saint Joseph is not only the
patron of carpenters- he is also invoked as a patron to cuckold fathers,
an item the Catholic church does not really approve of.
        Saint Francis of Assisi is also an unofficial patron of explosive
ordnance disposal personnel. These are the people responsible for
de-fusing bombs and explosives. While St. Barbara is the official patron
of artillery and explosives, St. Francis is the patron for bomb
"demineurs" because when they go off, there is very little left of the
individual except small shreds of meat scattered about, which are
afterwards eaten by the birds. Thus the association with St. Francis. Euw!

Lee Hadden

R. Lee Hadden
Army Geospatial Center
ATTN: WSGRLH (Hadden)
7701 Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA 22315
(703) 428-9206

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas
habebunt!" (When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have
catapults.) See: http://latinsayings.info/LatSayings.php