Sender:
"Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 08:16:38 -0600
7bit
From:
Subject: question about cadastral maps
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:27:54 -0700
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Hello all,
I am rare books cataloger that has become the de facto map cataloger for
our dept. I have some limited experience cataloging maps but there is
much I have yet to learn. One of the most confusing things for me is
trying to identify cadastral maps. How much information is necessary to
label a map cadasral? The map I am currently cataloging (Property at
East Newark, formerly known as the Preston Tract, to be sold at auction
... ca. 1836) shows parcels, block and lot numbers, street names, a few
parks and and two existing structures. Does this qualify as a cadastral
map or would it need to supply more information like parcel dimensions
or owners names? Other similar maps are sometimes identified as
cadastral and sometimes not.
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

-Silvana Notarmaso
Special Collections & University Archives
Rutgers University