DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Gerrit Hoogenboom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 12:22:17 -0400
>Sutisa and other DSSAT users:
>The DSSAT models do not respond to phosphorus.  Yes, there are
>features in XBUILD to input the fertilizers that include phosphorus,
>but this is for future use.  We have a group working on phosphorus
>version of the model, but that version may not be available for 2
>years or more.  Even when it is available, it will require testing
>in diverse regions to improve confidence that it works.  So, please
>stay in touch with us, if you have good data sets, with both soil P
>measurements, plant P measurements, and plant growth, along with P
>fertilizer treatments.  Such data may be very helpful for testing
>the future DSSAT models for maize or other crops.
>
>Meanwhile, if you want to simulate the relative effect of
>phosphorus, I recommend that you use different soils for each of
>your P fertility treatments, that are identical in all respects,
>except differing in the SLPF value (the soil fertility value on the
>5th line of each soil file).  With the current model versions, the
>SLPF is used to describe the other soil-related fertility aspects
>other than N or water supplying abilities, to include nematode
>stress.  For example, the default value of 1.00 is reasonable for
>highly fertile soils in the Midwestern USA, but values of 0.90 are
>typical in southeastern USA, values of 0.70 to 0.80 are common in
>West Africa and India.  I have shown line 5 with values for SLPF
>from 1.00 to 0.70.  Calibrate the initial SLPF value to the slope of
>dry matter accumulation for the zero P treatment (or to give you the
>end of season final biomass, if you lack time-series data).  Then,
>adjust the value of SLPF up for each P fertilizer treatment.  Mostly
>ignore grain yield in this analyses, although that hopefully should
>come along with the P-SLPF effect on total crop (top) mass.
>
>*IBMZ910023  IBSNAT      -99     151 Norfolk Loamy Sand
>@SITE        COUNTRY          LAT     LONG SCS FAMILY
>  Florence,SC USA               -99    -99  Norfolk Loamy Sand
>@ SCOM  SALB  SLU1  SLDR  SLRO  SLNF  SLPF  SMHB  SMPX  SMKE
>            -99     0.14      5.0     0.60     60.0     1.00    1.00
>     IB001    IB001   IB001
>
>            -99     0.14      5.0     0.60     60.0     1.00    0.90
>     IB001    IB001   IB001
>
>            -99     0.14      5.0     0.60     60.0     1.00    0.80
>     IB001    IB001   IB001
>
>            -99     0.14      5.0     0.60     60.0     1.00    0.70
>     IB001    IB001   IB001
>
>Good luck with your modeling,
>
>Ken Boote, crop physiology
>University of Florida

Gerrit Hoogenboom
Professor &
Coordinator of Research, Extension and Instruction
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering
The University of Georgia
165 Gordon Futral Court
Griffin, Georgia 30223-1797, USA

1-770-229-3438 (voice); 1-770-228-7218 (fax)
mailto:[log in to unmask]
www.Georgiaweather.net
www.GerritHoogenboom.com