SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 23:03:41 -0400
Eric,
      Dr. Peck has already said it is unlikely that rufa Red Knots will be
extinct by 2010, and claims that their paper (Baker et al., 2004) never
explicitly said that they would be.  In a recent private communication to me
he has also stated that the model using 1998-2001 data was only a snapshot
during that time period only and that they never suggested anything more in
the paper.  Contrast this to statements that you and others unfortunately
made saying that "absent bold action, extinction by 2010 is certain".  The
model is in the process of failing, as the rate of decline has slowed and
the population is levelling out.  As far as I'm concerned, extinction by or
about 2010 was never a reasonable possibility.  Dr. Peck concurs that the
information from the paper was misused and that their paper was misquoted by
the various well-meaning conservation organizations including NJ Audubon,
for the purpose of garnering support for the moratorium.  Will NJ Audubon
now stop using the 'extinction by or about 2010' line?
      I do wish you and everyone involved every success in the necessary
conservation measures needed to restore the migratory populations of knots
and other shorebirds in Delaware Bay,
   Sincerely,
           Rick Heil

Richard S. Heil