From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 15:32:07 -0500
Subject:        Re: Hawai'ian placenames and typographical characters
Date:   Mon, 19 May 2008 10:18:47 -1000
From:   G. Salim Mohammed <[log in to unmask]>

Becky,

Aside from  paying heed to Riley Moffat's posting, your best resource
for place names is:

http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/gis/bgn/

The site has both pdfs and excel files on spelling including all
Hawaiian characters/diacritical
marks, etc.  The site also includes fonts that you can download and use.

If you are looking for a contact name to talk more about this, depending
on the scope
and scale of your project, I suggest you contact Renee Louis who
presented on her
project at HIGICC's (Hawaii Geographic Information Coordinating Council)
who has
been working with GNIS to correct names/spellings etc.   I'll be happy
to give you her
e-mail address should you decide to pursue this.  Her presentation is
available here:

http://www.higicc.org/

More specific to your "for instance" question, the glottal stop is not
used in Hawaiian
but is used in Hawai'i.

Hope this helps,

--
G. Salim Mohammed, Maps/GIS Librarian
[log in to unmask] | 808-956-0833

http://magis.manoa.hawaii.edu

University of Hawai'i at Manoa Library
2550 McCarthy Mall, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA

"Live simply so others can simply live." -Gandhi.