DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Joseph Millen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 12:33:51 -0500
I am looking for suggestions on a way to adjust my rainfall, CN, or other
suggestions in the model to more closely represent actual runoff and
infiltration from a site in Florence, SC.

One of my problems is that storms have a short duration high intensity
during part of the year.  The storm type is ignored by the model and needs
to be adjusted in some other way.  I would prefer to alter the weather input
because during times of year when the storms are of a more typical type, the
new CN would be incorrect.

I have several years of data for actual crop yield.  The simulated values
are continuously too high.  The simulated growth does not indicate as much
water stress believed to occur.

Another problem that is possible effecting my yields is the verticle
variation in the soils here, which may also be effecting the simulated vs.
actual water balance.  The upper layers have a high sand content, while
subsurface layers are high in clay content and actually deter root growth if
subsoiling is not practiced almost yearly or if the subsoiling is not deep
enough to break through this clay layer.

Any comments or suggestions on my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Joseph Millen                   E-mail: [log in to unmask]
USDA-ARS                        Voice:  803.669.5203 x167
2611 W. Lucas St.               Fax:    803.669.6970
Florence, SC 29501-1241