DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Lizaso,Jon I" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lizaso,Jon I
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:12:05 -0500
Jordan and others interested,
Dr Boote is right. There's no default emergence time in CSM-CERES-Maize, the maize model in DSSAT. The model calculates emergence time based on thermal time, and depth of seed. The formulation requires a base of 45 GDD plus 6 GDD per each cm of seed depth. Soil water is considered for germination, the previous stage. If soil moisture is adequate for germination the model assumes it's OK for emergence.

The emergence date entry in the file X (EDATE) was not used, different from other DSSAT models (e.g. SUBSTOR-Potato). However, sometimes researchers have accurate field evaluations of emergence date. In this case, it would be better the model to give priority to the X file entry. For this reason, in the upcoming DSSAT v4.5 both maize models, CERES-Maize and IXIM, will have this feature. If you don't know your emergence date, enter -99 in EDATE and the model would calculate it for you. But if you have confidence on your measurements of emergence date, input that information in EDATE and the model will use it instead of the calculated value.

Regards,
Jon

Jon I. Lizaso
Dpto. Producción Vegetal. Fitotecnia