SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Alvaro Jaramillo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alvaro Jaramillo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:05:32 -0700
Jennifer et al.

  Escape diving by Spotties is something that has been noticed before, and
there are some interesting articles about it. I have seen it happen twice,
both times the bird in pursuit was a Merlin. It appears to be a successful
escape strategy, which in an interesting commentary was labeled as being
like "inverted flying fish". In other words an aerial animal escapes into
the water from aerial predators, the opposite of the fish which escapes to
the air from water and aquatic predators. Here is a link to that note:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v111n01/p0190-p0191.pdf

regards

Al

Alvaro Jaramillo