From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 08:37:47 -0500
Subject:        Re: formats of map compression
Date:   Sat, 24 May 2008 01:20:38 -0700
From:   Virginia R. Hetrick, Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Sorry to say, Brian, I have actually heard from a company in a similar
situation (thought not with respect to libraries) that their strategy is
to get the customers lined up and then jack the prices up.  Fortunatley,
I heard that before the company I was working for at the time signed up
with those folks.  They did provide a very useful product and we would
have been way ahead of our competition if we'd implemented it, but we
wound up joining what, in an academic environment would have probably
legitimately been called a consortium similar to OCLC, and, in the long
term, this has grown a very good set of employees into probably the
premier IT department in that industry.

\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
0      Email:  [log in to unmask]
Oo     "There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif