SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"R. D. Wallace" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R. D. Wallace
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:03:04 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Irene Hernandez<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 3:48 PM
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Banded Red Knot Sighting Pinellas County

During the last few weeks I have often seen groups of Red Knots at Redington Shores Beach.  Numbers have ranged from 70 to over 130, at times.  On February 3 Judy Fisher and I discovered one banded Red Knot among the group.  It had an orange flag on its left leg with A4 on the upper part of the leg.  On February 14 I found it again and was able to take photos that showed all of the banding information I needed to send Brian Harrington of Manomet Center a report. He was glad to receive my report because it was an update of his own sighting of this individual last November 12, 2005, in Longboat Key. He stated that A4 was marked in Argentina, which makes it one of only a few that are found in North America during winter. I observed and reported this Red Knot during the GBBC.

Brian would appreciate learning about any future sightings of A4.  Below are band details:

right leg    metal aluminum band above H6861

left leg     orange A4 flag above
             lower leg has white over green bands

If you see A4 on the beach somewhere along the Florida coast or beyond, please report your sighting to
Brian Harrington
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

A photo of A4 can be seen at http://home.tampabay.rr.com/skimmer<http://home.tampabay.rr.com/skimmer>

Thanks.
Irene Hernandez
Redington Shores, FL

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail: send a message "SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL" to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________