SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jean Iron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jean Iron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 18:21:56 -0400
Jean Iron just phoned me from Moosonee before flying out at 5:00 p.m.
on Ontario Government aircraft to Akimiski Island (Nunavut) in James
Bay. She is a volunteer with the Ontario Ministry of Natural
Resources (OMNR) under the direction of Research Scientist Ken
Abraham. She is also assisting Professor Erica Nol and her students
from Trent University who are studying shorebirds such as the
Semipalmated Plover and Marbled Godwit.

Earlier today on the 186 mile train trip from Cochrane to Moosonee
they observed yellowlegs and lots of Wilson's Snipe. The train went
slowly because the frost is coming out of the rail bed over the muskeg.

Jean will call me every few days by satellite phone from Akimiski and
I'll post shorebird updates.

Here's a satellite photo of Akimiski Island, which is the largest
island in James Bay.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=17995

Ron Pittaway
Toronto/Minden ON