SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Thomas Riecke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Riecke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:07:08 -0700
Dear all,
   Southside was not up to its usual high standards. 13 species of shorebirds were seen, with one additional heard only.
Birds included
Least Sandpiper - greater than 500
Western Sandpiper - 2 (should be 50)
Semipalmated Sandpiper -20 (should be 100)
Spotted Sandpiper - 20
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1 (that's terrible, last year there were at least 50)
Greater Yellowlegs - 3 (should be 30)
Long-billed Dowitcher - 7 (should be 20)
Short-billed Dowitcher - 1 (heard only)
Black-necked Stilt - 20
Killdeer - 100s
Piping Plover - 1, maybe 2, real good bird
Pectoral Sandpiper -5 (should be 50)
Wilson's Phalarope - 1 (should be 20)
Solitary Sandpiper - 5

We had very good birds on Wednesday with the cool front. I think the birds grounded then and stayed a few days to recover before leaving late Thursday or Friday, making our Saturday trip tough going. Other birds of note included a Wood Stork seen by Ross Rassmussen, Neotropic Cormorants, and a Common Moorhen, along with a lone Ruddy Duck

Thomas Riecke
Dallas, TX