SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:27:19 -0700
Hey everyone,
 I finally made it to Huguenot Memorial Park tonight
and saw many of
the
same birds Ed Kwater reported the other day. There was
a nice
"grounding" of
pectorals and gobs of willets.
 Long-billed Curlew - 1
Marbled Godwit - 2
Whimbrel - 1
Pectoral Sandpiper - 62
American Oystercatcher - 4
Least Sandpiper - 10
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 4 (that I was sure of)
Western Sandpiper - 425
Red Knot - 15
Willet - 350
Short-billed Dowitcher - 25
Sanderling - 85
Ruddy Turnstone - 125
Black-bellied Plover - 45
Wilson's Plover - 20
Semipalmated Plover - 225
Piping Plover - 1
 Lesser Black-backed Gull - 11
 Common Tern - 165
Forster's Tern - 85
Sandwich Tern - 60
Caspian Tern - 55
Royal Tern - 350
Black Tern - 100
Black Skimmer - 40
 Thanks to Pat Leary's post I made it up to Fernandina
Beach and the
athletic complex this morning and easily found 2
Buff-breasted
Sandpipers, 3
White-rumped Sandpipers, 5 Pectoral Sandpipers, and
more. It is a neat
place
because the shorebirds allow a close approach.
 Roger Clark
Jacksonville, Florida