SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:58:25 -0700
Greetings - the full moon this weekend caused very
high tides at Ponce Inlet, and completely flooded the
sandbar behind the inlet.  Usually there is a section
of the bar that remains dry above most high tides, and
it is here that the shorebirds congregate when the
feeding flats are flooded.

However, with the extreme tides, the only roosting
spot was the beach out by the jetty.  On last Thursday
evening at sunset I walked around the beach to the
jetty, and the spectacle of shorebirds was awesome.  I
stayed as the moon rose over the ocean, and continued
finding more flocks as I walked down the beach.  Many
were actively feeding in the edge of the surf in the
moonlight, and could be ID'd by silhouette.

Approx numbers seen:
Black-bellied Plover - 30
Semipalmated Plover - 250+
Piping Plover - 30
Wilsons Plover - 20
Ruddy Turnstone - 100+
Willet - 30+
Short-billed Dowitcher - 1
Whimbrel - 1
Red Knot - 35
Sanderling - 500+
Peeps - 500++ (mostly Westerns)

Smyrna Dunes Park had a few migrant warblers:
Redstart
C. Yellowthroat
Prairie W.

Bob Wallace