SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:10:46 -0800
---> Texbird help file http://www.texbirds.org <---

Dear all,
Here are pics of the Semipalmated Sandpiper that seems to be
attempting to winter in San Antonio, Texas:
http://www.martinreid.com/Main%20website/semisan1.html
  - I feel that the ID is fairly straightforward - but if you don't,
I'd really like to hear from you - thanks.
There are no documented records of Semip Sand in Texas (and almost
none for North America) in winter.
 From a local perspective, I want to ask anyone birding at Mitchell
Lake Audubon Center this winter to keep an eye out for this bird and
contact me with any sightings, so that we can chart its presence
here.  It seemed to favor the NW corner of the lake proper, visible
from the western levee of Basin 5; there is a small spit of land
about 50 yards from the north end of the levee, and there was a loose
aggregation of c. 25 Least Sands, 15 L-b Dowitchers, one Wilson's
Phalarope and two Dunlins  (plus both Yellowlegs and many Wilson's
Snipe) feeding on the narrow shore edge both east and west of this
spit - the Semip. Sand was with this group.  The best way to "ID" it
is to look for the rather grotesque tumour between its legs...
Cheers,
Martin

Cheers,
Martin