SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"R. D. Wallace" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R. D. Wallace
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 18:01:21 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Sue Moore<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 4:48 PM
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Fw: Red Knots need YOUR help!

Please pass the following message along to EVERYONE you know who is interested in birding and bird conservation.  If you have access to a bird-related list serve I would greatly appreciate you posting this.  I'm counting on our conservation community's networking ability to spread the word, so please be sure to forward this message to anyone you think might be interested.  Many thanks!

  Dear Birders:

  As you may already be aware, the red knot appears to be experiencing a catastrophic population decline.  Somewhere between its breeding grounds in the Arctic and its wintering grounds along the southern most tip of South America, this marathoning migrant is running into serious trouble.  While experts are debating several theories about what is causing this decline, everyone agrees that the species is in real and immediate danger.  There is still so much we don't know about these birds and we need your help in quickly gathering some important information about the red knots who migrate through and winter in Florida.  Here is how you can help:

  1.  There is an international team of red knot experts planning to arrive in Florida in late December to study our birds.  Their first challenge will be to locate large concentrations of knots.  Because knots use different locations in Florida from year to year, we cannot predict where we will find the birds based on where we saw them last year.  Between now and the end of the year, please report any sightings of concentrations of red knots (> 50 birds) to me and Brian Harrington:
  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  and [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Please include 3 pieces of information: # of knots, location (latitude & longitude or a detailed site description), and behavior (feeding or roosting).

  2.  The US Fish and Wildlife Service is coordinating the International Piping Plover Winter Survey from January 23 - February 6 in Florida.  During this survey, we are asking observers to report any sightings of red knots, along with their plover sightings.  If you have strong shorebird identification skills and are interested in assisting with this survey, please contact one of the following regional coordinators:
  Patty Kelly (Escambia - Jefferson Counties) 850-769-0552 ext. 228 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Billy Brooks (Taylor - Manatee and Nassau - Brevard Counties ) 904-232-2580 ext. 104 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Marilyn Knight (Sarasota - Indian River Counties) 772-562-3909 ext. 297 or  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

  Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

  Nancy Douglass
  Regional Nongame Biologist, Southwest Region
  Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
  3900 Drane Field Road
  Lakeland, Florida 33811
  863-648-3203

  From:
  Sue Moore
  15971 Catalpa Cove Dr.
  Ft. Myers, Fl 33908

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail: send a message "SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL" to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________