SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Pete Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:33:37 EDT
I studied pectoral behavior in the American arctic (near Barrow) for 6  years
(some time ago).  We regularly saw pectorals engaging in  interspecific
behaviors, including mating displays directed toward dunlin  chicks, a dead male
red phalarope, and adults of other species.   bottom line, a pect male will
display at just about anything remotely the right  size that shows up on its
territory.  doesn't even have to move.

Pete Myers
White Hall, VA

In a message dated 6/23/2006 12:27:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,