SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 07:09:08 -0400
A beautiful day in mid/late shorebird migration among the newly-planted rice
fields and Ukishima Marsh area of Ibaraki Prefecture, about 2 hours and 100
kilometers east of downtown Tokyo.  As I mentioned before, we don't get
massive numbers of individuals, but scattered small groups and individuals,
and a day's outing is catch-as-catch-can:  a birder turning left may well
get a different list from a birder turning right.  My list today:

Black-winged Stilt (2)
Little Ringed Plover (1)
Pacific Golden Plover (80)
Grey Plover (120)
Red-necked Stint (1)
Dunlin (1)
Common Snipe (2)
Bar-tailed Godwit (2)
Whimbrel (45)
Spotted Redshank (6)
Common Greenshank (16)
Green Sandpiper (2)
Grey-tailed Tattler (2)
Ruddy Turnstone (110)

The Spotted Redshank were a nice discovery.