SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Andy Urquhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:08:42 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The
> Delaware Horseshoe Crab spectacle has always been on top of my list of
> natural wonders to see at one time in my life but now regrettably it seems a
> dream lost.

It may not be what it was, but it's still pretty spectacular, since there are
several species (not just Red Knots) coming through at the same time and
feeding in the same areas.  The state of Delaware just opened a new nature center,
called the DuPont Nature Center at Mispillion Harbor Reserve, near Slaughter
Beach, Delaware, to provide information to visitors as well as an excellent
site to observe the spectacle.  It's definitely worth a visit.  Late May is the
best time, I believe.

(Please note that I will be away for a week and unable to answer any
inquiries on this topic until I return.  An internet search should turn up information
about the new nature center.)

Andy Urquhart
Newark, DE

 See what's free at