SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Shireen Gonzaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shireen Gonzaga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:21:04 -0400
The article cites lack of hcrab eggs as a major reason for the
population drop. Even if there were a moratorium on all harvests, it
would take at least 10 years, at the earliest, for the hcrab
population to recover, since it takes 8-10 years for juveniles to
reach maturity. (The unknown is how many juveniles are in the bay.)
The article says the knots could be extinct in 10 years.

My questions, for the Red knot rufa experts, what is the critical
window of time & actions needed to avoid this catastrophe? What is
the minimum number of birds for maintaining a viable breeding
population needed for recovery? At some point, the numbers would
reach a critical minimum when extinction will become inevitable due
to deaths by natural causes, predation, and other risk factors like
pollution.

Very sad news indeed.

- shireen

> Date:    Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:11:34 -0700
> From:    DJ Lauten and KACastelein <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: [Fwd: [NEOORN-L] Red Knot populations plummet]
> "A new report has revealed a drastic population decline in the Red
> Knot subspecies Calidris canutus rufa. Numbers at their wintering
> grounds in southern South America have fallen drastically in recent
> years; from 51,300 in 2000 to approximately 30,000 in 2004, and still
> further to just 17,200 in 2006.

Shireen Gonzaga
Baltimore, MD