SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"R. D. Wallace" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R. D. Wallace
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:37:11 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Lilith Mageborn<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 11:53 AM
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Sanderling question

Hi, everyone, time to come out of lurkerdom and ask a question that's
been bothering me.

What has happened to the Sanderlings, by and large?  Whenever I summered
in Carpinteria (Santa Barbara Co.) from the end of the fifties to the
eighties, there were flocks of Sanderlings; they were an integral part of
the shoreline.  Ditto for coastal Orange Co. Now, from mid eighties to
the present, I don't think I've really seen more than a couple at a time
and the last time was in 1997 in Huntington Beach, before I started
birding.

I read somewhere (WildBirds or Birders World?) that a number of years
ago, the Sanderling population suffered a precipitous decline and
biologists don't know why.

What has happened to the Sanderling population, and where may I find more
information about this problem?  I particularly love Sanderlings.

Thank you very much!

Sue Jorgenson
Anaheim CA

Unsubscribe: mailto:[log in to unmask]
Website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CALBIRDS<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CALBIRDS>
Listowners: mailto:[log in to unmask]

Turn off email delivery: mailto:[log in to unmask]
Resume email delivery: mailto:[log in to unmask]