SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
William Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:19:24 EDT
Although I believe that I wrote to everyone individually, I want to
collectively thank everyone who responded. The feedback I received is  invaluable; I
have compiled what could almost be described as a manual for  wetland
restoration.

We are up 15 species of shorebirds feeding in the area where I  was able to
control the water level carefully. The most recent arrivals are  stilt
sandpiper, common snipe and, most exciting, 2 red-necked phalaropes  feeding furiously
and "happily" for the last two days.

Someone thoughtfully posted my request on other listservs from which I
received feedback also. Thank you.

Bill Jones
Canfield, OH (Youngstown area)

                                        ********************************
Original request:

Northeast Ohio, fifty miles south of Lake Erie, is certainly not the center
of the shorebird migration. We are, however, trying to provide feeding grounds
 for those that do come though and we are in the process of restoring a
recently  acquired fish farm to wetlands. Artificially lowering the water level of
just  one pond that has naturalized itself over the last few years attracted a
more or  less steady number of 130 shorebirds to the mud flats over the last
week. They  include lesser and greater yellowlegs; least, spotted (nesting)
solitary and  pectoral sandpipers; short-billed dowitchers, killdeer and
semi-palmated plover  -- and probably a few short term visitors that I missed.

If I may post a  request for advice, I'm collecting as much information as
possible before making  any major changes and I would appreciate any input on
this restoration. The  lowland area is about 200 acres, about half of which was
abandoned and has  naturalized (this includes the usual non- native plants
which  we are  removing). The other half is made up of rows of deep ponds that
are roughly 100  by 300 feet. Should the dikes between these ponds be bulldozed?

Mill  Creek runs parallel to the wetland, but it's about 200 feet  away and
was channeled 100 years ago. Should we make a cut into the stream bank  and
dykes in  order to return the stream to its original meandering course  through
the wetland  or should we continue to control water levels  mechanically?  I
should mention that this will be a general wildlife  sanctuary, not just a
shorebird habitat, although that is a high  priority.

I realize that this description is sketchy, but I would be  happy to provide
all details to anyone who might be interested in helping. Thank  you.
 (mailto:[log in to unmask])