DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Brian Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:40:44 -0400
Hello --

Am I missing something?  In the case where I want the model to run past the
maturity date I just set the harvest flag in simulation management to R
(for reported dates) then set the harvest date in the *HARVEST DETAILS
section to the date I want the model to stop at.  At least in the CERES
models no plant processes happen after the maturity date (ie there is no
crop losses) so the harvest date really acts as the ending date of the
simulation. The soil H2O and N continues to run as if fallow in the period
between Maturity and "Harvest".

-- Brian Baer

>Does anyone know if there is any way in the X-file of specifying the end
date of the simulation other than at the crop harvest and without going
through
>another whole year. What I want to do is to make the model run on past the
harvest date for a period of time to look at changes in soil characteristics.

>Robin Matthews
>P.S. I am still using DSSAT v3.1 and am not aware of any enhancements in
the newly released version.

>At 02:10 PM 9/21/98 GMT, you wrote:
>> The current DSSAT v3.0 or DSSAT v3.5 do not allow you to specify the end of
>> simulation option.  In your case it might be much better to set your
case up
>> as a crop rotation or sequence. For the first part of the rotation you
would
>> specify the crop and possibly harvest date, you then let the "fallow model"
>> pick up after harvest to look at changes in soil water and nitrogen.
>
>Gerrit - thanks for the information. I have actually just solved the
problem (after my query) by altering the line in the Simulation Controls
section of the
>X-file to include a couple of extra parameters - FINSH which is a
character that defines the mode of finishing (i.e. H=harvest, S=specified
date, etc.) and
>FDATE which is the specified date if FINSH = S. The modified line looks like:
>
>@N GENERAL     NYERS NREPS START YRDAY FINSH FDATE RSEED
SNAME....................
> 1 GE              1     1     I     0     S 94197     0
>
>Of course, then there has to be some modification in the source code (READ
statements, and a bit of logic in the main program to implement the
>options), but it is not a lot of effort and what I have seems to work
pretty well now. Could I suggest that you incorporate something like this
in the next
>release?

Brian Baer                              [log in to unmask]
Program Analyst
Dept. of Crop & Soil Science            (517) 353-8537 (voice)
A574 Plant and Soil Science Building
Michigan State University               (517) 353-8538 (fax)
East Lansing, Michigan  48824-1325