DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Jones, Jim W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:18:26 -0400
To:       DSSAT List Server
From:     James W. Jones, Chair
  International Consortium for Agricultural Systems Applications (ICASA)
Subject:  Invitation to join and contribute to ICASA

The International Consortium for Agricultural Systems Applications has been
in existence for about ten years. Although it was initially organized to
foster cooperation between two groups involved in application of models and
systems approaches to agriculture in the developing world, it expanded
somewhat a few years ago but still retained the same approach for its
activities and membership. However, in 2002, a decision was made by the
ICASA Board to mold ICASA into a consortium that would be much more open
and allow far greater participation in activities that would be beneficial
each of us and to the progress in developing and applying systems tools and
methodologies for agricultural systems. One aspect is to open membership to
anyone who is interested and willing to contribute to ICASA's goals.

We are thus entering a new phase of ICASA with an opportunity to play an
important role in many venues. However, it is clear that if ICASA is to
succeed, each member will have to contribute. We have already put into
motion some new activities and tools that will help facilitate ICASA's
mission and vision. Some of these tools facilitate the new open membership
policy of ICASA and membership management whereas others are being put into
place to facilitate community building, communication, and exchange of data,
tools, etc.

ICASA Web Site

The Internet will be an important part ICASA, facilitating communications
among members and share ideas, data, and tools. New ICASA web site
capabilities are already in place (www.ICASA.net <http://www.icasa.net/>):

Membership Management. This component allows potential
members to fill out an application over the web and submit it
electronically. Applicants are asked to read the information on what it
means to become an ICASA member, then enter information on what they will
contribute to ICASA and what they expect to gain from being a member. We
also ask them to print the form, sign it, and send it to the Hawaii address
to authenticate their membership. Upon authentication, they will become a
member of ICASA, all of their contact information will be stored in a
membership database, they will be added to a new ICASA list serve, and they
will have access to all information (data, modules, application tools, etc.)
in ICASA.

ICASA Data Documentation and Exchange System. A new data
information and access system was developed to allow any ICASA member to
enter a small amount of information (metadata) about experimental data that
they have collected to inform potential users that it is available for other
ICASA members to use. It also allows one to upload a zip file with their
data in it, so that ICASA members can download the data and use it for their
purposes as long as they give credit to the data source and owners. Whereas
any web surfer can enter the ICASA web page and see metadata, only ICASA
members can enter metadata, upload files, and retrieve data. The membership
list, with full encrypted password protection, is used to control access and
use of this system.

List Servers. We have set up a list server
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>) to facilitate
communication among ICASA members. We will still make full use of the DSSAT
list server, but the DSSAT group will be only one of several model
development and application groups in ICASA and we want the new ICASA to
play a broader role in facilitating cooperation among groups. I foresee a
number of other list servers as ICASA members create communities within
ICASA to accomplish specific goals that they define. For example, I could
foresee a "community" of members who are interested in climate applications
of agricultural models, analysis of rice-wheat systems, improving tillage
models, etc.

We expect more functions as time passes, and would like ideas from you on
capabilities that you think would help ICASA members be a part of this
important community. Each Board member will need to be proactive as we move
forward. The ICASA web site will be managed by Gordon Tsuji and Gerrit
Hoogenboom during the initial phases of our new ICASA.

Some pending ICASA initiatives

Special Session at Annual ASA Meeting. There will be a
session at this year's Agronomy Meetings on application of agricultural
models. Cynthia Rosenzweig and I requested this session, and ICASA will be
listed as an organizer.
A new initiative on tillage modeling is being organized by Jeff White. The
goal of that effort
is to improve models for tillage effects on soils and crop growth and yield
and contribute to
various modeling groups who would want to participate in the effort. A
special session has
been organized for the American Society of Agronomy meetings in Denver this
Fall.

SAAD IV Symposium. Systems Applications for Agricultural
Development. ICASA has already sponsored three of these symposia (in
Thailand, the Philippines, and in Peru). We would like to see another
symposium organized under ICASA's banner, but will need volunteers to
sponsor it. I have had some early indications from some of our Australian
friends that they might want to do this, but nothing is set.

ICASA Communities

Plans are that ICASA will organize groups of members around various themes
and work together to make progress in that area. For example, I can foresee
a community of members who will work on compatible tools for application of
models, one that will address data compatibility, one that aims to develop
new modules for increasing functionality and accuracy of cropping system
models, etc. Each of the communities would have a "volunteer" to lead the
effort under the ICASA banner. I believe that this will provide a powerful
way to engage people and have them feel part of ICASA, which has been
lacking in the past.

Finally, I want to invite you to participate in this new phase of ICASA. I
am certain that the application of knowledge from agricultural research will
benefit greatly from the methods and approaches that we all espouse. Please
visit the ICASA web site to join and to see the new Interactive Data
Exchange (IDE) system as well as other information on ICASA.

James W. Jones
Distinguished Professor
Agricultural & Biological Engineering Department
PO Box 110570; Museum Road
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611
Tele: (352) 392-1864 ext 289