SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:12:32 -0400
Hi everybody

not so easy to be sure on the identification of these sandpipers.

I send you the last comments I received (don't hesitate to send the next
ones directly on the list)

Sandpiper2 is most definitely a Western.  The drooped tip gives it away.
Sandpiper1 also strikes me as being too "robust breasted" to be a
Semipalmated, thus making it a male C.Mauri judging by the tapered short
bill.
Thomas J. Dunkerton

Fabrice - after seeing the additional photos on Yahoo, I would agree with
Brian that they are both Westerns.  The frontal view of the tip of the beak
on Sandp1 is too narrow for a Semipalm.
Bob Wallace

So, 3 of you think that both are Western.

And I just received the following message who is also very interesting !!!!

all my best,
Fabrice