From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:36:48 -0500
Subject:        Re: "Natural borders"
Date:   Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:28:11 -0400
From:   Michael Fry <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Chris,
This sounds like a great GIS question, with one possibly major caveat.

Boundaries that aren't straight lines--coastlines, mountain ranges,
rivers, etc.--can be measured with varying degrees of "accuracy," which
is to say detail. Case in point: I just researched the length of Oman's
coastline. Most published figures, including those from State Dep't,
CIA, Columbia Gazetteer, Statesman's Yearbook, Webster's Geographical
Dictionary, and several Omani gov't sources, cite one of three figures:

* 1,700 km/1,056 mi
* 2,092 km/1,300 mi.
* 3,165 km/1,967 mi.

The variability, which I discussed with a couple nice fellows from NOAA,
has everything to do with the scale of maps/imagery used to measure said
boundaries, and how one chooses to define terms (e.g., "coastline").
None of these figures is "wrong," but some are perhaps more right than
others? ;)

Anyway, variability like this would, if I'm not nuts, do a lot to
complicate the answer to your patron's question. I'm sure you could
compile an answer with GIS, but you might want to qualify it with notes
about the scale of the data used?  Or, if you have time and inclination,
do it with several data sets at several scales and provide an estimate
or range?

$.02

Good luck Thiry!

mf

--
Michael Fry
Senior Map Librarian

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Angie Cope, American Geographical