DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jim Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:03:52 -0500
Dear Arnold,

The NINO3.4 SST index is sea surface temperature anomalies averaged over
the region bounded by 5°N to 5°S and 170°W to 120°W in the
eastern-central equatorial Pacific. It is one of several standard SST
indices associated with the El Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO), but
considered the one that is considered most closely correlated with the
behavior of ENSO. It is available as a monthly time series in near real
time (currently through December 2009), since January 1856, from the IRI
data library:
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.Indices/.nino/.EXTENDED/.NINO34/
It offers several formats and options. For a simple HTML table, to to
Tables, then Columnar Table, or go to:
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.Indices/.nino/.EXTENDED/.NINO34/T+exch+table-+text+text+skipanyNaN+-table+.html

I'd be interested in learning more about your study. We have interacted
with other researchers in the Philippines on use of ENSO information for
rainfall forecasting, crop yield forecasting, crop management,
hydrological forecasting and reservoir management.

Regards,

Jim

Kaplan, A., M. Cane, Y. Kushnir, A. Clement, M. Blumenthal, and B.
Rajagopalan, Analyses of global sea surface temperature 1856-1991,
Journal of Geophysical Research, 103, 18,567-18,589, 1998

Reynolds, R.W., N.A. Rayner, T.M. Smith, D.C. Stokes, and W. Wang, 2002:
An Improved In Situ and Satellite SST Analysis for Climate. J. Climate,
15, 1609-1625.

Trenberth, K., 1997. The definition of El Niño. Bull. Am. Meteor. Soc.
78: 2771–2777.

--
James W. Hansen, Ph.D.
Research Scientist - Agricultural Systems

voice:  +1-845-680-4410
fax:    +1-845-680-4864
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW:    http://iri.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/staff?jhansen