SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jean Iron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jean Iron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:24:04 -0400
We've often seen southbound male Pectoral Sandpipers with obvious "sacs" in
southern Ontario (Toronto - Lake Ontario) in mid-July. Male Pectorals
migrate south before the females (females first in most shorebirds) when
the young hatch. Some July males we've seen show a sagging lower neck bib
(stretch marks), evidence that they recently were courting males. If you
watch Pectorals closely this July, you should see some males still showing
signs of sacs from immensely inflating their throats in courtship.

Ron Pittaway & Jean Iron
Toronto & Minden
Ontario, Canada