SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jay Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:00:00 -0400
I just returned from a very satisfying and exciting 3-day trip to Chincoteague NWR.  I drove onto the refuge at about 11:30 AM Friday.  Along the road are a few places to scope for shorebirds, one of them being Swans Cove Pool.  In it was a single HUDSONIAN GODWIT.  It was a little pale on the breast and belly, so I am thinking it was a female undergoing molt.  The long upturned bill was a godwit giveaway.  It showed a darker mantle and a lighter grey color in the area of the subscapulars when it turned.

Throughout the day I was treated to many of my target "year" birds such as GULL-BILLED TERNs, WESTERN SANDPIPER (I didn't find many), and WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERs (several).  Also present were many BLUE-WINGED TEAL, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, 2 BLACK-NECKED STILTS in Snow Goose Pool, PECTORAL SANDPIPERs, and calling NORTHERN BOBWHITES.

I headed to the beach the next day in the early morning hoping for a Jaeger of some sort to be around, but that was not to be.  I found some good birds, including on MARBLED GODWIT.  Later, I again made my way to the Wildlife Loop.  The bird I could not find to this point was STILT SANDPIPER, but then found a few them here in Shoveler Pool (if I remember correctly).

The bird of the trip, however, was later found in Snow Goose Pool (opposite Shoveler Pool).  The RUFF was standing about 75 yards away so I could see it from the side.  Around it were both Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpiper, and others.  By comparison, the bird appeared to be chunkier and "heavier" than the other birds around it, which is what first drew my attention to it while scanning.  It was a medium-grey color overall, lightening toward the belly and vent.  It had orange legs, a short bill, white and black tail, and what appeared to be a darker assortment of feathers on the scapulars.  It had a white area at the base of the bill, and the face appeared to be washed out.  It didn't move much, but when it did it was only short strides.  There were no adorning feathers around the neck or breast.  A true treat to find, and my life Ruff.  With that I called it a day.

My two other target birds of the trip were American Avocet and Red Knot.  The refuge map showed impoundments along the trail that I had never visited.  Amazingly, after walking close to a mile on this trail, 3 AMERICAN AVOCETS flew nearly over my head giving constant call notes.  It appeared that they were taking off from Swans Cove and heading northeast, perhaps toward Mallard Pool.  I had just scoped all of Swans Cove from several different angles and I did not find them.  Avocets are quite difficult to find in Virginia.  Red Knots were not found.

Take Care,

Jay Keller,
Arlington, VA