DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Strauss, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:57:17 EST
List members,

My company, Abt Associates, is working as a contractor for the U.S. EPA on a
project to analyze potential effects of climate change on the U.S. corn crop.
We are using CERES-Maize in DSSAT v3 to model corn yield.  As part of this work,
we are looking for DSSAT genetic coefficients for the following varieties of
corn, which are commonly used in Nebraska:

        DEKALB 591
        PIO 3162
        Cargill 7777
        Fontanelle 5325
        NC+ 5037

If anyone has developed coefficients for these cultivars, or can refer me to
someone who can help me, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Best regards,
Ben Strauss

P.S.  The genetic coefficients required for maize by CERES-Maize are as follows:

P1      Thermal time from seedling emergence to the end of the juvenile phase
        (expressed in degree days above a base temperature of 8 deg C) during
        which the plant is not responsive to changes in photoperiod.

P2      Extent to which development (expressed as days) is delayed for each hour
        increase in photoperiod above the longest photoperiod at which
        development proceeds at a maximum rate (which is considered to be 12.5
        hours).

P5      Thermal time from silking to physiological maturity (expressed in degree
        days abobe a base temperature of 8 deg C).

G2      Maximum possible number of kernels per plant.

G3      Kernel filling rate during the linear grain filling stage and under
        optimum conditions (mg/day).

PHINT   Phylochron interval; the interval in thermal time (degree days) between
        successive leaf tip appearances.

Ben Strauss                     Tel:    301.913.0509
Abt Associates, Inc.            Fax:    301.652.7530
4800 Montgomery Lane            Email:  [log in to unmask]
Suite 600
Bethesda, MD 20814