DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Aris Gerakis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:54:11 -0700
At 11:20 AM 9/23/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I am working as a postdoc at NCAR and I am studying the impacts of
>climate change on agriculture at SE USA. For the time being I am working
>on the validation of CROPGRO (from DSSAT)for soybean. Could anyone out

Theodore,

Ya kai xara sou, ti hambaria,

I just arrived from a trip to Boulder, pretty place.  I was for a meeting
to discuss global carbon modeling.  I am a post-doc, too.

>there inform me about the differences that previous crops (corn, fallow,
>sorghum, potato, fallow, cotton) make for my simulations.

As a rule, the CERES and GRO models have no idea what was planted before.
Before every year-run they erase their memory.  But you may use knowledge
of the previous crop --if you have any-- to adjust your initial soil
conditions with respect to soil N, etc.

  Also, my
>harvest yields are reported at 13% moisture level. Is this the normal
>level or should I adjust the yields estimated with the crop model.

This moisture is reported because it permits safe storage of the grain
without spoiling.  Harvested crops may have higher moisture than that, and
then they need to be dried before storage. Do not adjust.

>Any ideas on my requests would be really appreciated.

Perimenw nea.

Aris Gerakis
Dept. of Crop and Soil Sciences                 Voice: (517) 353 8537
Plant  and  Soil Sciences  Bldg.                F a x: (517) 353 8538
Michigan    State    University
East Lansing,   MI 48824 - 1325