DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Andre du Toit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 08:23:00 +0200
Hallo Hong
A combined project between Freestate Agric department  and us
(ARC-GCI) use the CERES-Maize of DSSAT3 to do maize yield predictions
for the last 3 years.  Because of the possible  El Nino effect for the 1997/98
on South Africa maize production,  we determined the best production
practices to minimize the effect of  El Nino. This was done  for 4
sites, using historical  El Nino weather data. A combination of
management practices was and will be planted. At the end of the
season we will comparing the recommendations from DSSAT3 with trial
data. We want to know if we could use long-term weather predictions
to do seasonal site specific recommendations.  We also have evaluated
DSSAT3's seasonal analysis  against long term management field trials.
We are going to use DSSAT3 to evaluates the influence of climate
change on maize production in South Africa.
Regards Andre