SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Douglas Robberson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas Robberson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:33:45 -0800
------ Forwarded Message
From: "Ruth and/or Patrick Sullivan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:10:30 -0800
To: <[log in to unmask]>, "OBOL" <[log in to unmask]>,
"inland birders" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [obol] Temminck's Stint at Ocean Shores update  11-10-05

Hello all birders,

The Temminck's Stint was well observed all day at the southwest pond at the
Ocean Shores Sewage Treatment Plant at Ocean Shores,Grays Harbor
Co.(Washington State)and viewed by 26+ birders until we left the locating at
2:30pm with birders mostly from Washington with 2 birders that arrived when
we left from Idaho The bird was most cooperative today and allowed the best
of views for everyone at one time or another. A few of us braved severe
southerly winds during the early morning with heavy rain at times until
skies finally began to partially clear during the mid afternoon. The bird
allowed very close examination on several occasions and clearly showed ALL
distinguishing field marks for the species such as the overall plain plumage
with very worn scapular on the mantle,distinct white outer tail feathers
with a dark centered tail,white eye ring and white supraloral area(the area
between the eye and the base of the bill),which the latter two field marks
not clearly seen at farther distances,but clearly observed at the closest
ranges. The bird strongly appeared long-winged,but it's stance appeared both
long and short legged depending on how the bird stood. The pure white outer
tail feathers were the most distinct when the bird flew eventhough it didn't
fly as much today than our observation yesterday. The call was also very
distinctive and far much different than any Least Sandpiper or any other
bird for that matter,which the bird gave several times during flight only.
During the day there was no doubt by any individual that we were aware of to
the bird's identity and we accept full criticism or doubts by anyone. Our
latest photos speak for themselves and show most of all the main field marks
for a Temminck's Stint away from any new flight photographs. We also noticed
today a darker area of feathering on the mantle in the form a "V",which can
be visible in a  few of our latest photos,which was not viewed yesterday. We
also noticed that the bill was not entirely black,as mentioned yesterday in
our posting and it's true color can be visible very nicely in one of our
latest photos. In this photo a paler area on the upper mandible is visible
and we also noticed that the bill length and structure varied depending on
the angle,but in many of our photos there is a definite droop at the tip.The
bird showed a somewhat darker brown cap contrasting to paler areas of
gray-brown on the head with a pale brown wash on the upper breast,which in
some lighting appeared more warm brown to buffy. We understand that our
photos of the bird were NOT of the best quality at all and were only for
"proof" as mentioned several times,as we really hope you all will enjoy our
latest photos that are far better in quality. We're sure this is so much
more to add on specific details of the bird,but we are tired and had a very
long day,so let our photos be the judge! We personally have no doubt of the
bird to be a pure 100% Temminck's Stint! Our latest photos of the bird can
be viewed at the following link:
http://www.pbase.com/godwit/temmincks_stint

During the entire day the bird remained extremely active by foraging along
the entire perimeter of the southwest pond by pecking at substrates in he
water,foraging on the immediate shoreline,as well as foraging further away
from the water's edge in rockier areas. The bird was essentially a healthy
looking bird and preened quite often too. On at least 3 occasions during the
day the bird would tower fairly high in the air,where it was heard
calling,but flew around then so returned within a 2-3 minute period. On at
least one of these occasions a nearby Northern Harrier was the cause of the
sudden flight. We wanted to mention that tomorrow would be maybe the last
best chance to view the bird before the weekend given it is still there. The
treatment facility will be open tomorrow during regular hours between
8am-around 4:30pm for those of you that have the chance to look for this
grand rarity. We advise birders to park outside of the entrance gate if at
all possible since there may be large crowds of birders since there is a
limited parking area at the main office of the facility for 2-3 parked cars.
The treatment facility is close on the weekends and even if the bird is on
the southwest pond it could be more difficult to see it since viewing from
outside of the fence is most limited. When viewing the southwest pond from
outside the fence you are able to stand and walk along a very rocky area
encompassing the fenceline and the pond is quite visible from outside if you
walk along the west and south perimeter of the fence. We expect many birders
will look for the bird over the weekend even if viewing won't be nearly as
good as being inside the complex! The bird from outside the fenceline could
be hindered due to the distance if anything,but a careful scanning of the
edges should produce the bird ,if it is there!

Other noteworthy species obseved while patiently watching the Temminck's
Stint were the following species:

280+ "Black"Brant observed flying southward off the Ocean Shores Jetty
3-4 Northern Harriers
1 Peregrine Falcon
1 Merlin
10 Black Turnstones
17 Dunlin
7-8 Long-billed Dowitchers
1 1st winter plumaged Glaucous Gull(observed flying east to west along the
Ocean Shores Jetty from the Oyhut Wildlife Area)at 2:30pm and most likely
the same individual previously reported and observed earlier in the day by
Bruce LaBar and Bill Shelmerdine. A very crisp individual along with several
fly-by Herring Gulls.
2 Lapland Longspurs(observed immediately south of the main treatment
facility in a sandy wash dune area)
3-4 Western Meadowlarks

In addition we observed a single Am.Kestrel and a Merlin near the Hoquiam
STP along S.R.109.

Good birding,

Ruth and Patrick Sullivan
Fircrest,WA