SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Anthony Levesque <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Levesque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:54:56 -0500
Dear shorebirders,

after "Dean" hurricane, I observed at Pointe des Châteaux (a salt pond of 15
hectares) in Guadeloupe (FWI), around 750 shorebirds, among them 13 RED KNOT
(a rare species there, not observed past year), 2 were banded with lime flag
+ 1 RUDDY TURNSTONE banded and 1 SANDERLING banded

the most common species was the SEMIPALMETED SANDPIPER (50-60%)

here we have the same problem of shorebird hunting... and at Port-Louis
Swamp, yesterday morning I checked 8 hunters who killed a hundred shorebirds
(of wich 3 RED KNOTS), they were at least 30 hunters on this place...

shorebirds killed were LEYE, GRYE, SBDO, STSA, AMGP, WHIM, RUTU, REKN, SOSA

sorry for the bad news...

Anthony Levesque