DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Boote,Kenneth J" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boote,Kenneth J
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:35:23 -0400
Arnold,

You have not interpreted this correctly, and it is not "new".  You should NOT sum up the indices for photosynthesis and growth.  That would be wrong and could give you more than 1.0, up to 1.5 or so of "stress".  I'm not sure you can sum the stresses up over the growing season either.

The photosynthesis factor is computed from the ratio of actual root water supply to transpirational demand (but limited between 0 and 1.0), so if root water uptake is limiting then photosynthesis (DM gain) is limited directly by that ratio.  The other "growth" factor is computed from the same two variables, but with a re-scalar of 1.5, thus making it more sensitive to water limitation.  The "growth" factor does not affect DM gain directly, it only affects expansive processes such as leaf area expansion, height & width increase.

Note that the "stress" reported to the OUTPUT is equal [1.0 minus the computed ratio].  For that reason, numbers above 0.0 indicate stress.

I recommend that you take the DSSAT course in May, to learn the questions to these questions.

Ken Boote