From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:30:13 -0500
Subject:        FW: PostScript version of FGDC symbol standard is available
Date:   Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:12:56 -0500
From:   Doug Behm <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hello -

The PostScript version of the FGDC Digital Cartographic Standard for
Geologic Map Symbolization is now available as a USGS Techniques and
Methods publication (please see http://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/2006/11A02/).
This Summer it will become available on CDROM, and I will send copies
to each state geological survey, and to other federal agencies
represented on the FGDC Geologic Data Subcommittee.  When the CDs
become available, I will announce it, and would be pleased to send a
copy to anyone who requests it!

If you were able to attend DMT'08, you're aware of the significant
progress made by ESRI, in cooperation with the FGDC (specifically
Taryn Lindquist and me), to make this standard accessible in their
software.  We anticipate that many of the most useful symbols (as
well as patterns) will be available in ArcMap by the end of this year.

We hope you find this version of the standard useful !

Dave

p.s. If you're interested in helping to implement this standard in
Illustrator, in a fashion more readily useable than the PostScript
files noted above, I welcome it -- please express your interest to
me, and we can discuss how that task might be addressed.