SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Kevin Dailey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Dailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 16:22:05 -0700
Visited Huguenot Park this afternoon from ~5-6PM.
(Incoming Tide, overcast, and windy). I was relieved
to finally find some more shorebirds showing up!

Notables:
Black Bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Wilson's Plover
Western Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone
Short Billed Dowitcher
Willet
Whimbrel
Black Skimmer
Ring Billed Gull
Forster's Tern
Sandwich Tern
Royal Tern
Reddish Egret

A quick stop at Sister's Creek Marina on the way up
yielded ROSEATE SPOONBILL, WOOD STORK, TRICOLORED
HERON, BELTED KINGFISHER, CLAPPER RAIL, SNOWY EGRET.

On the way back, a small congregation of birds was on
the shoreline at White Shell Bay (on the north/marsh
side of Heckscher Drive). Mostly Snowies, but I scoped
7 Spoonbills, including one banded adult. I wasn't
able to see much detail (using 60x eyepiece from about
200 yds). The band was on the left leg above the knee.
Appeared to be tan or light gray in color. I did not
see a band on the right leg.

Regards,
Kevin Dailey
Little Marsh Island