SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Charlie Ewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Ewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 12:45:07 -0400
All,

Found about 250 Red Knots north of the Little Estero Lagoon area this
morning (Sat 9 Sep 06), some with the same band combination as my last
report and some new combinations.  These birds were spread out from the
Holiday Inn beach northward.  Early or late on the weekend would be the best
time to look for them, as the walkers and beach-goers begin flushing the
flocks and they gradually work their way up beach.  I didn't have time to
check the lagoon itself, so I don't know if the remaining 200 or more of my
initial flock were down in that direction (south of the Holiday Inn).  If
you check the beach behind the Holiday Inn you will need to walk down to the
water's edge, as you can't see the shoreline from the hotel.  The intertidal
zone is below your line of sight from the back of the beach.  A few hundred
yards south of the hotel, where the large beach narrows down, are some
tidal/rain pools that are worth checking for knots and a variety of other
shorebirds, gulls, and terns.  I'll post the band combos seen today a bit
later as time allows.

Charlie

Charlie Ewell

Cape Coral, FL