SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:45:07 -0700
Greetings -
Stopped by the Roth Sod Farms, located on SR 880, east of Belle Glade FL (near Lake Okeechobee), on the way back from a successful chase for the Northern Wheatear in Everglades NP with John Hintermister and Dotty Robbins.  We were unable to find any of the grasspipers reported in late August, but in a flooded field we found a motherlode of shorebirds, in numbers too large to count, only guesstimate:

Black-necked Stilt - 100s
Avocet
Black-bellied Plover - 100
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs - 500++
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1000+
Stilt Sandpiper - 100s
Pectoral Sandpiper - 10+
Western Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandp
Least Sandpiper - 100s
Ruddy Turnstone
Long-billed Dowitcher - 100s

Unfortunately we were pressed for time, and the middle of the day light created poor conditions at a distance, so we could not ferret out any rarities, but the quantity of birds here was very impressive.

Also seen were Black, Gull-billed, Forsters Terns and Black Skimmer, Fulvous Whistling Duck, Laughing Gull, and many herons, etc.

Bob Wallace
Alachua FL