SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Samantha Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samantha Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:16:58 -0400
Earlier this month, I posted a notice regarding Western Sandpipers flagged
with dark green alpha-numeric coded flags in Kansas.  I would like to
include *Semipalmated Sandpipers* in this notice, as they are also being
flagged on Quivira National Wildlife Refuge.  The sighting report
information for both WESA and SESA is the same.

Western Sandpipers flagged with DARK GREEN colour flags with WHITE 2-letter
alpha-numeric codes are being marked on Quivira National Wildlife Refuge in
central Kansas during the 2006 and 2007 fall migrations.

These flagged birds may show up at points south of Kansas.  It is not known
what migration route they take south of this point, nor is their wintering
location known.  Any information that sightings provide will be EXTREMELY
useful in building a migration picture for this group of continental
migrants.  Florida and Texas may be potential sighting locations.  Any
SPRING sightings will also provide valuable information.

If you see a flagged bird, please contact:

Samantha Franks at [log in to unmask]

I'm a graduate student at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada.

Please include as much of the following information in your sighting report
as possible:

1) alpha-numeric code
2) date
3) location (GPS point if available, otherwise, be as specific as possible)
4) time
5) flock size
6) flock species composition
7) individual's activity (foraging, etc.)
8) individual's age and sex if possible to be determined visually

Of note:  25-30m from the bird is the approximate distance for reading the
code on the flag, unless you have a very good high power/resolution scope.