SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:38:29 -0700
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Michael Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 6, 2007 2:34:50 PM
Subject: Re: [BRDBRAIN] Snowy Plover, Ponce Inlet, Volusia County

This morning, 4/6, at 11am I found the Snowy Plover on Disappearing Island, Ponce Inlet, Volusia County.  A Merlin spooked a large group of shorebirds and they all came down and settled near where I was standing. among the 50+ Semipalmated Plovers and  Black-bellied Plovers were 4 Piping Plovers, 3 Wilson's Plovers and 1 Snowy Plover.  This Snowy Plover has been seen periodically in the area since January. At one point I had Snowy, Semipalmated,  Wilson's  and Piping Plovers all within 10 feet of each other and only 30 feet away.

Totals present were:
Sanderling 500
Dunlin 600
Least Sandpiper  75
Western Sandpiper  20
Short-billed Dowitcher  2
Greater Yellowlegs  2
Willet 30+
Black-bellied Plover 100+
Semipalmated Plover 400+
Wilson's Plover 6
Piping Plover 4
Snowy Plover 1

Royal Tern 600+
Least Tern  120+
Sandwich Tern   50+
Forster's Tern 20
Caspian Tern 3
Black Skimmer 12

Herring Gull 20+
Ring-billed Gull  12
Laughing Gull  90
Lesser Black-bakced Gull  4
Great Black-backed Gull   1

(No sign of the Iceland Gull although I heard a report that it was seen earlier today.)

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet

please visit us on the web at:
http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html
To set to no mail: send a message "SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL" to
Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask]