SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 07:34:28 -0700
Visited Shiloh yesterday afternoon.  Most of the good flats were further south, in Brevard County.  There were literally thousands of shorebirds (10,000? 15,000? 20? - I dont think an accurate estimate was possible), but the numbers were staggering.  Unfortunately most of the smaller birds were so far out, that all you could see at 60x was specs, or the wheeling and turning flocks moving around.  It really was a very impressive sight!  Still a few remant ducks and other winter birds, such as Savannah Sparrow.  Because of the distance, that it was impossible to pick out any rarities that might be there.

Shorebirds seen:
Black-bellied Plover- 100?
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Avocet - 80+
Whimbrel - 1
Marbled Godwit - 10
Willet - 1000?
Greater Yellowlegs - 100s
Lesser Yellowlegs - 100s
Stilt Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher - 1000s?
Dunlin - 100s? 1000s?
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper - 1000s

Other species:
Greater and Lesser Scaup
Shoveler
Blue-wing Teal
Merlin
Bald Eagle
White Pelican

Finally, I met a birder there (I am sorry that I dont remember your name!), that reported seeing a Jaguarundi.  Does anyone else know of reports in the area?  Tom?

Thanks
Bob Wallace
New Smyrna Beach