DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Boote,Kenneth J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2016 17:10:10 +0000
Sebastian,

While I may be biased, I think CROPGRO is the better place to start because all the parameterization is via the species, eco, and cul files, and you can follow the approaches taken for other CROPGRO adaptations for other crops including fababean, pigeonpea, and safflower.   Is Quinoa a C-3 or C-4 crop?  If C-4, we have a very simple potential code change (extra parameter that affects tau=specificity for CO2 vs O2 fixation) that we are using in our Perennial Forage model that can make it like a C-4 for response to CO2.  I believe it is a relatively cool-adapted crop, so I would start with templates such as dry bean if it is a short-day crop.  If it is a "long-day" type, then templates for other cool-season crops such as fababean and chickpea may be better.  Be sure to turn off symbiosis (to N).

How much data do you have for calibrating it?  Time-series dry matter accumulation in total and in reproductive are very important.  Having end of season yield is not enough by itself.

Hope this is helpful.

Ken Boote