SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Cape Romain Bird Observatory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cape Romain Bird Observatory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:05:35 -0400
The most shorebird species I have personally had in one day is 31, at
two sites - see below for details of that and some high single-site
counts.  We really are lucky to have so much good shorebird habitat
remaining here in coastal South Carolina.

On 4-30-2006, during an ISS (International Shorebird Survey) census,
CRBO personnel recorded 27 shorebird species at a single site - the Tom
Yawkey Wildlife Center in South Carolina.  The habitats there included
drawn-down waterfowl impoundments, tidal salt marshes, front beach and
sandbars, and shallow freshwater areas.  Remarkably, there were no real
rarities among these 27 species - all could be considered regular visitors.

On 5-12-2007, on another ISS survey, we had 25 Shorebird species at
Yawkey alone, including a Ruff.

On 3-20-2006, I had 24 species at a single site - the north end of Bulls
Island, SC - largely thanks to a massive drained waterfowl impoundment
complex (Jack's Creek) that occupies the northern end of the island,
between Bulls Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.

*** On 5-5-2007, I had a combined 31 shorebird species at 2 sites - the
Yawkey Center and at nearby Santee Coastal Reserve.  Jason Burbage, John
Cox and I had started the day with an ISS run at Yawkey and I finished
the day by hitting the drawn-down former ricefields at Santee Coastal
Reserve.

On many occasions (spring, fall and winter) I have had 20+ shorebird
species at the eastern tip of Kiawah Island, SC and also at Raccoon Key
+ Lighthouse Island in Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge.

Nathan Dias

---
Executive Director
Cape Romain Bird Observatory
PO Box 362
McClellanville, SC 29458
http://www.crbo.net/

From: Russ Namitz
Subject: [SHOREBIRDS] 19 shorebird species in Coos County, Oregon

Shorebirders~

With only birding 2 sites (Bandon & Coos N. Spit), I managed to pick up
19 species of shorebirds.  I think I'll do a shorebird Big Day on
Thursday. I'm sure there is a record out there...anybody know it?