SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:59:52 -0400
Hi

I hope I'm not too boaring with my sandpipers....

I send more pictures on
http://ar.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fabrschmitt/my_photos

Cameron

"In fact, since Westerns molt much earlier than Semipalmated
>> the fact that it has retained alternate plumage is a strike against
>> Western.  I would expect that if a Western should ever make it to Chile
>> that it would be in complete basic plumage before it arrived."
We are only 20 of august, that's not so late...I don't think that all the
Western are in complete wintering plumage at this time, do they ??
This bird perhaps spend the northern summer here.... as some yellowlegs and
others shorebirds (I don't think that the 250 Baird's Sandpiper are
"arriving" bird as I didn't see any inland even in Peru where I've been 3
weeks ago). I think that these birds spend the northern summer here.

"Also bird #2 seem to show a few faint markings on the
>> hindmost portion of the flanks.  While Westerns show chevron shaped
>> marking all down the flanks in alternate plumage, in basic plumage this
>> area in unmarked.  In my experience, thin shaft-streaks on the rear of
>> the
>> flanks not connected to more markings along the rest of the flanks
>> strongly suggests Semipalmated Sandpiper."
Yes, this bird have clearly markings on the hindmost portion of the flanks,
but also on the flanks (see the new pic Sandpip2-f).
I'm very surprise to learn that the Semipalmated sandpiper could also have
these kind of markings ! I didn't know it, and would like to see some
pictures of these kind of birds... do you have some ?

by,
Fabrice