From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 07:57:26 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Hallie Pritchett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:11:03 PM
Subject: RE: query about BLM maps

Robert - Take a look at Superseded List and Guidelines - Information for Regionals on the FDLP Desktop (http://www.fdlp.gov/collections/collection-tools/superseded-list?start=4).  In part, it says: "Regional depositories have agreed that some superseded materials should be retained for long-term public access. This is a consensus agreement between the regionals, not a legal requirement of 44 U.S.C. ยง1912."  Those titles are indicated by an R on the Superseded List.  In other words, regionals do not HAVE to retain superseded materials such as maps, although ideally they SHOULD.  In fact, in recent years a number of regionals have weeded superseded materials listed as R on the Superseded List, mostly due to space considerations.  However, there is some concern that if all of the regionals decide to weed the Rs on the Superseded List they previous agreed to keep, valuable material will be lost

As far retaining your superseded BLM maps (or any superseded map or document, for that matter), there are a number of factors to consider, particularly if you are a regional.  Perhaps the most important factor is the role your library plays in the state, which should be part of your State Plan.  In Georgia, as the regional UGA continues to actively fills in gaps to ensure we have as complete a collection as possible because this is the role that we have long agreed to play for our state  Among other things, it allows our selective depository libraries to be more aggressive with their weeding, which in some cases has been what keeps some of them from dropping out of the program entirely.  As a research-level cartographic collection (one of the largest in the country), we keep all editions of all maps received through the FDLP and collect maps and atlases from all over the world.  Again, this has long been part of our collection development policy and is one of the many roles !
 we play in the state.  UGA has also agreed to be an ASERL Center of Excellence for maps from all agencies, which due to our existing collection development policy is a natural fit.  It also means other ASERL libraries such as yours do not necessarily have to concern themselves with retaining all editions of all maps received through the FDLP, since at least one library in the Southeast is already doing so.

Another consideration is use.  For example, older editions of our USGS maps are fairly heavily used by researchers who want to know what the area looked like at a particular point in time or want to compare how an area has changed over time.  As you pointed out, BLM coverage is exclusively for the 12 Western states; if your students, staff or faculty are truly not using the maps you may not need to keep the older editions.  But make sure to check with them first, though - do not assume that just because certain maps are not in constant use that they are not valuable assets to have in your collection.

You might also check with other libraries in your area, including the surrounding states, to see if they are keeping or plan to keep superseded editions of BLM or other maps; this might allow you to consider weeding your copies.

Finally, if space is truly an issue for you (and those BLM maps do take up a lot of drawer space), targeting superseded maps that get little or no use is an obvious choice, even for a regional.  But you do decide to weed, make sure to offer them to other libraries on MAPS-L and GOVDOC-L - some of us are still trying to fill in gaps.

Hope that helps!  Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hallie Pritchett
Map and Federal Regional Depository Librarian
University of Georgia Libraries
Athens, GA 30602
706-542-0664
706-583-0631 (FAX)
Map and Government Information Library -
http://www.libs.uga.edu/magil/