DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Myles Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 07:18:47 -0500
Hi, All,

IM(NS)HO It depends on the question(s) that you want to answer. If you want
to simulate the exact outcomes of a set of agronomic treatments, then you
need some good crop phenological data so that you can rigorously assess the
genetic coefficients of the germplasm that you are growing/simulating, and
you need some good soil data. You also need good met data. It is a rare
luxury that you have all these numbers, so you often have to resort to some
sort of kludge. For example, you can get daily met data from NASA, but the
satellite only passes each 10 days so that there is a lot of interpolation
in them. Also the satellite only measures water vapour concentration in the
atmosphere, not actual precipitation.

Alas, many of us want to use simulation to answer broader questions, like,
what effect could modern agricultural technologies have on global food
security in 2050? Integrated soil ferility management? Precision
agriculture? Organic farming? Drought tolerant cultivars? On a global
scale, the niceties of the characteristics of a particular soil get lost in
the general assessment. We can estimate the relative proportions of which
soil texture by depth occur in a given 5 km square pixel, and generate
weather data using DSSAT's WGEN, or better, extract climate nornals from
WorldClim and use an external weather generator like MarkSim, which also
incorporates the effects of climate change estimated by 6 GCMs and 3 SRESs.
We have to accept that DSSAT does represent the response of crop yield to
whatever external factor we apply, and that the relative proportions of
different soils in a particular pixel are correct (or at least that the
errors cancel out).

Getting to the detail, for CERES-rice you specify the components of water
management, puddling, bund height, added water amount or flood depth. The
FILEX RMZ8601.RIX in the distribution package gives an example in the
section IRRIGATION AND WATER MANAGEMENT. The codes are described in the
file DETAIL.CDE in the DSSAT45 root directory. You can specify percolation
rate (IR008), so  saturated hydraulic conductivity is irrelevant.

IRRI produced their own simulation model, ORYZA2000.  It is a LOT more
complicated than CERES-rice. It will be included in DSSAT 4.6, but is not
in the current version (4.5.1.023). You can get it as a stand alone,
www.knowledgebank.irri.org/oryza2000.

There is a DSSAT training workshop May 20-25 at the University of Georgia -
Griffin Campus. It would be useful for you to attend if you could. The
details are on www.dssat.net

Cheers.

Myles Fisher
Emeritus Scientist
Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical CIAT
Cali Colombia