SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jim Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:25:10 -0400
       Hello.  I strongly suggest that all trip reports not only include
dates, times from xx to yy, places, but also weather AND TIDES (hours
before/after high/low), in addition to names of observers, plus species and
numbers.  Please note plumages and apparent ages.  At least please tell us
(if you can) whether you are reporting basic (winter) birds, fresh alternate
(spring birds), transitional adult birds, juveniles, juveniles going into
first winter etc.

      I know what reports from various people in various locations in
Massachusetts mean, but I have no idea whether people reporting from other
places are reporting from prime time at prime locations, or from their local
patch at whatever time they can get there.

      I would also like to request that people indicated the significance of
their reports.  Are the species/numbers reported as expected for the
time/tide/place?  Or unusually high or low>

    For example, what good would it do you to know that several observers in
MA recorded 700 Northern/Red-necked Phalarope >Phalaropus lobatus< and about
50 Red Phalarope >P. fulicaria< on May 26, 2005 at Sandy Point, MA, if you
didn't know that the numbers of these pelagic birds are very unusual for
shoreline locations, and, that Sandy Point and the adjoining Parker River
National Wildlife Refuge, in Newburyport, MA, are prime shorebird locations,
and, that the birds were blown in by an unusual spring northeast storm,
while migrating north?

    I might also suggest, since this is an international list where not
everyone may have equal command of English, and, where English common names
may differ by country and field guide, that observers present the binomial
the first time they mention a species.

    So, please tell us whether the species seen and number recorded are as
generally expected for the time of year and the location, and the tide and
the weather etc., or, as expected in your personal experience at this time
of year in the particular location etc.,  or, whether the species seen and
number recorded are notably higher or lower than expected at this time of
year in the particular location, or in your personal experience, or whether
the species is very unusual, rare or unprecedented etc.

    As to rarities and vagrants, please believe what you are looking at, not
what the birdguides, CDs and local heavies tell you that you can see or not
see.  Birds don't read birdbooks, listen to heavies, or watch CDs. Report
the bird, give us a description, and, if possible, refer us to a photograph.

    I won't get into the challenges/problems of IDing shorebirds here at
this time,  but there are a number of the things you can look for and see,
and also hear.  If you're easily intimidated, go out by yourself.

    Yours,

    Jim Barton
    Cambridge, MA