SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mister Micawber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mister Micawber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:09:51 +0900
Last Sunday I posted freshwater shorebirds in early fall migration.  Today I
looked for coastal shorebirds along the north shore of Tokyo Bay, Japan.  To
make sense of the numbers, it is helpful to know that Tokyo's natural
shoreline has been steadily disappearing to development for the past 120
years.  Now, there is almost nothing left of it; there are very few places
for shorebirds to stop over, and numbers are always relatively small and
sightings spotty;  it often takes several trips before one has accounted for
all the expected species.  Nevertheless, today was good birding.

Today I went to Funabashi Keihin Koen (Park), a haven for clamdiggers and
barbecuers, and also to Yatsu-Higata, a mudflat completely enclosed by
housing and other development, but still influenced by the tide of the bay
via narrow canal.  Directions to Yatsu-Higata are on our website at
http://ca.geocities.com/kantorilode    Funabashi Keihin Koen is nearby, and
both are only a short train ride from Tokyo Station.

Grey Plover, P. squatarola  (50)

Lesser Sandplover, C. mongolus  (95)

Greater Sandplover, C. leschenaultii  (3)

Common Ringed Plover, C. hiaticula  (1)

Kentish Plover, C. alexandrinus  (40)

Ruddy Turnstone, A. interpres  (90)

Red-necked Stint, C. ruficollis  (80)

Broad-billed Sandpiper, L. falcinellus  (2)

Dunlin, C. alpina  (10) (our commonest wintering sandpiper, but just
beginning to arrive)

Sanderling, C. alba  (1) (I don't believe I've never seen a lone one
before!)

Great Knot, C. tenuirostis  (3)

Common Greenshank, T, nebularia  (6)

Grey-tailed Tattler, H. brevipes  (80)

Common Sandpiper, A. hypoleucos  (1)

Terek Sandpiper, X. cinereus  (6)

Bar-tailed Godwit, L. lapponica  (16)

Whimbrel, N. phaeopus  (1)

Black-winged Stilt, H. himantopus  (20)

The most impressive sight at the Funabashi mudflats, however, were large
flocks of about 500 Common and 200 Little Terns.

Charles  Harper

Yokohama